Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chocolate Truffles!

On Friday evening, as a birthday gift, I attended a chocolate truffle making course with my lovely friend. 
Situated in Leichhardt, we indulged in a hands-on chocolate making workshop.

We learnt how chocolate was made, from the humble cocoa pod, into a fermented cocoa bean, into cocoa butter in its rawest form, and then made into the chocolate that we all know and love.


{Cocoa Butter, Fermented Cocoa Beans, Cocoa Pod}

We got to sample some newly acquired rose flavoured chocolate, which were spooned into warm milk and poured into small mugs. The perfect rose flavoured hot chocolate warm up before we got down to business.

Luckily for us, as this was a shorter workshop, the ganache filling that we would be using for the truffles was pre-prepared. 



We picked our moulds, and then lined up to learn how to pour and and fill our moulds with warm and creamy milk chocolate. My hand accidentally slipped as it was my turn, and unfortunately, I had to lick quite a large amount of chocolatey goodness off my fingers. Mmmm



Once filled and rid of air bubbles, the moulds were put into the fridge for a short time.
Then taken back out ready for the ganache filling. Choosing between Vanilla and Baileys Liquor, Dark Chocolate and Orange Liquor and Milk Chocolate and Cointreau. Some were left free of ganache to become a yummy solid chocolate heart. 


Then back to the chocolate machine to fill and top off the moulds, then back to the fridge. 

While waiting for our moulds to form, we learnt how to DIY your own piping bag and use the chocolate as artistic decorations. 



The moulds were then taken out of the fridge, twisted like an ice-cub tray and then banged onto the stainless steel table where they should all fall out of the moulds. Then of course the sampling began! 



I was suprised and impressed with how well my chocolate truffles turned out, although having the chocolate and ganache pre-prepared did make a lot of difference. Perhaps something I may not try to replicate at home, but something I am definately happy to continue eating, and such a great, fun thing to do!

Images: My Own
Course done at Kimberley Chocolates, Leichhardt 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts!