Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Finding Your Purpose

Do you sometimes find yourself wading through mountains of self-help books, motivational books, quotes etc and becoming a little overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge you should be soaking up? If you're like me, you go through it with your nice colourful highlighter, waiting for certain points to just jump out at you. Then before you know it you've finished the book/article and you've completely forgotten what you found so poignant to begin with. Insert frazzled face.

Sometimes, when it comes to these lines of thinking, simple is best. Creating your own purpose, is as simple as it comes. No books, no facts, no statistics, no quotes from other people, just what springs to your own mind. What could be easier to remember, than something you have thought up yourself?

Let's go through what a purpose statement is for the newbies in the room...
This should be a reflection of who you are, the things that you value and believe in, what you strive and wish for in life. Here are some aids that may help you in writing your purpose statement.

What is my life about?
What do I value?
What do I treasure?
What is really important to me?
What do I do in my life that is worthwhile?
How do I want to be remembered?

Your purpose statement is what you would like to experience more of in your life and how you need to achieve this. Your answers to the above may be short, they may be long, but see how it feels to write down your purpose statement and refer to it. What could be more motivating or inspirational than something you have written yourself?
As a guide, I thought I would share my purpose statement with you.
Good luck with yours!

The purpose of my life is to experience happiness. To have healthy, happy relationships. To empower myself, make my positivity contagious. Be open to loving relationships and be happy and loving towards myself. I will put myself first and attract thoughtful, generous, loving people by portraying and being all these things myself. Enjoying life's simple pleasures, being pleasantly suprised by life. Opening myself up to positive change.
x

Words: My Own

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts!