Friday, January 17, 2014

My, Myself and I

 
I used to think that spending time on your own, meant that this was an option by default because no other better plans came up. Sometimes I still think that there is a stigma attached to this, and we are hesitant to answer or admit “oh I didn’t do anything with anyone”.
Some of you might be thinking – “but why didn’t you call a friend to organize to do something”. You are right, that’s always an option, and there are always amazing friends and family available to do just that, but towards the end of 2013 I began to discover that there was something really nice and relaxing, about spending time with yourself and enjoying your own company.
 
When you spend time with yourself, it allows new and insightful ideas to boil to the surface.
Thoughts and feelings that you may not have noticed or recognized amongst the chaos of everyday life, or being surrounded by people, become awakened.
A fresh perspective on a situation may finally reach a resolution, simply because you took the time to focus on yourself and just be… with yourself.


 
 
Spending time on your own allows you to be selfish – do what you want, when you want. Watch movies all afternoon if that’s what you feel like doing. Read a book undisturbed for hours. Relax at the beach with no time constraints or busy schedules. Clean in your underwear because you have the sudden impulse to be productive and neat and tidy. (Don't laugh, we've all done it!)
 
Through spending time on your own comes clarity, perspective, growth and peacefulness.
No one says you have to do it for hours on end. For some a few hours of personal time is all that is needed.
 
No longer will I have the mindset that spending time with yourself is a negative thing, because you had nothing else to do. It’s actually what I choose to do, so that when I do spend time with friends and family, they have my full and undivided attention and love.
 
 
Words: My Own
Images: Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts!